One out of every six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8 completed rape; 2.8% completed rape).(National Instititute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.) www.pcar.org)
According to the World Health Organization, victims of sexual assault are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression;
- 6 times more likely to suffer from PTSD;
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol;
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs;
- and 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
The Healing Place provides the following services to female victims and their spouses, partners, or other support persons:
- Crisis intervention – 24 hour crisis line – If you or someone you know has experienced any form of sexual violence, The Healing Place provides a 24-hour crisis line that offers help and support.
Crisis Line: (828) 692-3931
- Hospital Accompaniment & Emergency Room Advocacy – Trained volunteer advocates are available 24 hours a day to provide support and information to victims of sexual assault at the hospital where they are being treated. The agency also provides post-examination clothing to victims in the emergency room.
- Counseling – Free & Confidential trauma focused counseling is available to victims and their non-offending family or support members. The counseling provides skills and tools to overcome the assault or abuse.
- Case Management – Each victim and his or her circumstances is different and The Healing Place recognizes the need for appropriate community referrals. A staff member will assist each victim as they work toward overcoming the sexual violence by identifying needs of the whole person and helping the victim access needed community resources.
- Judicial Support & Advocacy – The Healing Place offers advocacy and companionship during visits to law enforcement agencies, court proceedings, and other legal procedures. An Advocate of The Healing Place will also help the victim with a Victim Impact Statement, if necessary.
- Victim’s Compensation – The Healing Place Advocate will help the victim determine eligibility and file the proper paperwork to receive compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and other allowable expenses.