Males are the least likely to report a sexual assault, though they make up about 10% of all victims.(U.S. Department of Justice. 2005 National Crime Victimization Study. 2005.)
One in six boys will be sexually abused before age 18.(www.pcar.org)
According to the World Health Organization, victims of sexual assault are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 6 times more likely to suffer from PTSD
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs
- and 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide
The Healing Place provides the following services to male victims and their spouses, partners, or other support persons:
- Crisis intervention – 24 hour crisis line – If you or someone you know has experienced any form of sexual violence, The Healing Place provides a 24-hour crisis line that offers help and support.Crisis Line: (828) 692-3931
- Hospital Accompaniment & Emergency Room Advocacy – Trained volunteer advocates are available 24 hours a day to provide support and information to victims of sexual assault at the hospital where they are being treated. A male advocate is available to provide this support and advocacy. The agency also provides post-examination clothing to victims in the emergency room.
- Counseling – Free & Confidential trauma focused counseling is available to victims and their non-offending family or support members. The counseling provides skills and tools to overcome the assault or abuse.
- Case Management – Each victim and his or her circumstances is different and The Healing Place recognizes the need for appropriate community referrals. A staff member will assist each victim as they work toward overcoming the sexual violence by identifying needs of the whole person and helping the victim access needed community resources.
- Judicial Support & Advocacy – The Healing Place offers advocacy and companionship during visits to law enforcement agencies, court proceedings, and other legal procedures. An Advocate of The Healing Place will also help the victim with a Victim Impact Statement, if necessary.
- Victim’s Compensation – The Healing Place Advocate will help the victim determine eligibility and file the proper paperwork to receive compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and other allowable expenses.