If You Are Sexually Assaulted

  1. Go to a safe place.
  2. Preserve all evidence. Do not shower, bathe, or douche. Save the clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault in a paper bag (not plastic; plastic destroys evidence).
  3. Do not disturb anything where the crime occurred.
  4. Do not eat, drink, or smoke.
  5. Call the Police or Sheriff’s Department immediately. It is your decision to file a complaint, but have law enforcement or an advocate from The Healing Place explain your legal options before you make such an important decision. You may also consider filing a “blind report” so law enforcement know who perpetrated against you in case they receive reports from others about the same person. See new.vawnet.org/Assoc_Files_VAWnet/FB699_blindSV.pdf for more information.
    Henderson County Sheriff’s Department (828) 697-4596
    Hendersonville Police Department (828) 697-3025
    Fletcher Police Department (828) 687-7922
    Laurel Park Police Department (828) 692-9399
  6. Go to a hospital emergency department for medical care and evidence collection. Ask the hospital for a specialized nurse called a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner to collect the evidence and provide you with the best medical care possible. If they don’t have one or one is not available for several hours, contact the crisis line at (828) 692-3931 for other options.
  7. Ask the hospital staff to call The Healing Place and an Advocate will meet you in the emergency room.
  8. We can help you, your family, and friends deal with immediate and long-term consequences of the assault. Seek the free specialized counseling and information services of The Healing Place. The Healing Place can provide you with the most effective mental health treatment proven to work at no charge for as long as you need it.
  9. The Healing Place assists individuals in applying for NC Crime Victim’s Compensation, which provides financial assistance for medical and counseling expenses incurred as the result of the victimization. In order to qualify for compensation, you MUST report the crime to law enforcement within 72 hours.